Streaming services are rapidly becoming the most popular way to watch TV and movies in New Zealand. With the introduction of new streaming services, such as Netflix and Lightbox, along with the already popular TVNZ OnDemand, there is no shortage of options for Kiwis. But with so many options available, how do you decide which one to choose? In this article, we will look at the current state of streaming services in New Zealand and the advantages and disadvantages of each service.
Overview of Streaming Services in NZ
TVNZ OnDemand has been the streaming service of choice for Kiwis for many years. It provides users with a range of TV shows, movies and documentaries, all available to watch at any time. Unlike Netflix and Lightbox, TVNZ OnDemand is free to use and is funded by advertising.
Lightbox is one of the newer streaming services in the Kiwi market, launching in 2015. It offers a variety of TV shows, movies, documentaries and exclusive content to users, all at a cost of $9.99 per month. Lightbox also has the advantage of being available on a range of devices, so users can watch content on their TV, laptop, tablet or smartphone.
Netflix is arguably the most popular streaming service in New Zealand and around the world. Since launching in New Zealand in 2015, Netflix has become the go-to streaming service for Kiwis. Netflix provides users with an extensive library of TV shows, movies and documentaries, alongside its own original content, for a subscription fee of $11.99 per month.
Advantages of Streaming Services in NZ
Whether you choose to stream content on Lightbox, TVNZ OnDemand or Netflix, there are a number of advantages to using streaming services in New Zealand:
- Convenience – with streaming services, you can watch whatever you want, whenever you want. You no longer have to wait for a program to air or worry about missing an episode of your favourite show.
- Cost – streaming services are generally cheaper than traditional TV subscriptions, with Netflix and Lightbox costing around $10 per month, and TVNZ OnDemand being free with advertising.
- Variety – streaming services provide users with access to a huge range of content from around the world, from movies and TV shows to documentaries and exclusive content.
Disadvantages of Streaming Services in NZ
While streaming services do offer a number of advantages, there are also some potential drawbacks:
- Internet speeds – streaming services require high-speed internet in order to work properly. For many users in rural areas of New Zealand, this may be problematic, resulting in a poor viewing experience.
- Data limits – streaming video content can use a lot of data, which may result in additional costs for users if they exceed their monthly data limit.
- Advertising – while TVNZ OnDemand is free to use, it is funded by advertising, which can be intrusive and disruptive.
The streaming services available in New Zealand provide Kiwis with a convenient, cost-effective and varied way to watch movies and TV shows. However, there are some potential drawbacks to this type of media, such as slow internet speeds, data limits and intrusive advertising. Ultimately, the right streaming service for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences.